I hope you’re having a great week and feeling better than I am!
Unluckily, I caught a post-holiday cold (probably from one of my recent flights) and like most of us, I’ve had to get on with life. Luckily there are so many natural remedies, gifted from Mother Nature to speed up the recovery process and relieve these annoying and let’s face it, just downright inconvenient symptoms.
So here is my list of natural cold remedies that should be a staple in all our homes.
- Ginger is not only a cure for nausea and great for circulation problems, ginger is also a powerful anti-inflammatory, so you want to get on that as soon as you feel that scratch in your throat and keep it going to help with the headaches, aches and congestion that follows.
- Garlic is the most powerful, versatile and widely used medicinal plant on the planet. Regarding colds though, garlic is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, so it’s especially good for coughs and chest infections.
- Honey is great for many things –healing internal and external wounds, purifies the blood, good for the eyes and teeth, just to name a few- Use it to alleviate your cold, cough and congestion but try not to heat or cook it as heated honey can clog to digestive tract and create toxins.
- Turmeric – with anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties, try gargling with a glass of warm water, some salt and turmeric powder for your cough and sip on some turmeric and ginger tea throughout your cold and even without a cold.
- Cloves are a natural pain reliever and will also help with coughs and congestion. Use a few drops of clove oil in boiling water an inhale to steam to decongest and chew a piece of clove to help with a dry cough.
- Eucalyptus – ah I love this! Again you can use the oil or leaves in boiling water and stream to decongest or you can even put the oil on the sides of the nose to help relieve your snotty nose.
- Echinacea – This Native American herb is a great immune booster, so if the people around you catch a cold, take it before you sick but no longer than a few weeks as it may actually lower your natural immunity.
Ok, that does it for this week! I know some of these may seem obvious but sometimes we forget and go for ‘1 tablet to mask all symptoms, western medicine root’, though there are just so many more natural and healing remedies and ways to make yourself feel better when a dreaded cold hits, so I will cover this next week!
Have a happy and healthy week 🙂